When infant mortality began to rise at the beginning of the 20th century, numerous children's hospitals were opened in Germany.
This hospital was to be the first municipal children's hospital in Prussia when in 1908 the town authorities decided to build it. The laying of the first stone took place in 1909 and the grand opening ceremony was finally held in July of 1911.
The area surrounding the hospital had been reshaped into a park and could therefore be included in the therapy.
Also part of the therapy was the so-called "Milk-Treatment-Facility", which comprised cow stables, a small dairy factory with all the facilities needed to process milk as well as transportation and storage facilities.
The hospital developed into the foremost facility of its kind and also became training center and part of the Third International Congress for Infant Protection.