So since the weather was good and there was still enough daylight left after our trip in the abandoned former brewery, we decided to take a trip to the zoo.
The zoo was founded in 1950 by a famous German animal trainer and in 1952, moved to the location were its remains can be found today.
The "inventory" included seven lions, three bears, a wolf, two silver foxes, three monkeys, horses, ponies and a number of other animals.
Over the course of the 1950s, the number of animals climbed over 200. At the beginning of the 1960s, a famous animal researcher recommended an expansion of the zoo, so in 1967, the city provided 4.5 acres of land so the overall area grew to nearly 7 acres.
After the founder's death in 1976, a couple of employees that had worked in the zoo took over and carried on the operation.
Because of animal cruelty, various animal rights groups demanded the zoo be shut down in 1993, but the city's senate ruled in favor of the zoo.
In a magazine article from the year 2000, experts voted this zoo as the worst facility of its kind in Germany.
Here are the first couple of pictures.
Part 1 | Part 2