July 6, 2019

Tour Report: Hillside Hotel [Revisit]

This abandoned hotel was the final location I explored together with my friend Pixelcracker on our spontaneous tour through the mountains in October of 2017.
I had visited this place a few months earlier together with my wife, but we only explored part of it because we chickened out and didn't enter the part of the building that was affected by a fire a couple of years ago.
Pixelcracker and I used the same parking spot and access route that I'd taken the first time, and entering the hotel was just as easy. And this time, I went up the charred stairs to the first floor. It didn't really feel safe, but it obviously didn't collapse under our weight ;)
Upstairs, we found a couple of really rooms that were still in pretty good condition. The smoke from the fire had settled all over the walls and kind of swallowed a lot of the light, so the atmosphere was a bit eerie.
I was glad to have climbed up the stairs, becuase it would have been a pity not to photograph the rooms there.
After checking out the main building, we went to the adjacent buildng that had offered some great shots during my first visit. As we had climbed inside through the kitchen window, I was terrified - in only two months time, the entire place had literally been turned upside down. It didn't look like typical vandalism, because not a lot had been destroyed - but much of the furniture had been carried around the house or was lying on the floor.
I can only imagine that it was an "urbexer" who wanted to destroy the place for everyone that comes after him - it does happen in the German urbex "community". There are a lot of really jealous fellows and people that think that only they are "elite", and some of these people really do destroy places to spoil them for everyone else so that only they have the "good" photos.
I've tried to illustrate the development below.
That's what this looked like to me; it was very sad.
So after a really successful weekend of exploring, this was kind of a sad conclusion for our tour, but after all, we had seen so many great places and met so many great people, so that after almost two years, I'm still looking back on that weekend with a big smile on my face!!


To check out all the photos from this place and to find out about its history, click the button below.




















Here are some photos that document the change of the place over a period of less than two months. Only about six weeks are between the two photos.















No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...