The place boomed during the 1936 Olympic Games when the water sports competitions were held here.
The ballroom even survived World War II and was kept in poeration during the German separation. It stayed a well-known venue and was used for cultural, social or casual events.
After the collapse of East Germany and the reunification, operation was stopped in 1991 and the ballroom was closed forever.
In 2006, a Turkish businesswoman bought the whole thing for presumably 650.000 Euros with the intention of building a conference hotel. Nothing has happened since.
A notable feature was the grand piano standing in the large ballroom.
It's not there on older photos of this location, and it sounds way too good to be as old and rotten as the building itself.
Obviously someone brought it there.
Part 1 | Part 2